I was born and raised in Kamchatka peninsula, one of the most eastern parts of Russia (USSR that time) and one of the most mountainous lands in Russia. Thanks to my parents, since childhood I was involved in different outdoor activities, and spent all my free time in Kamchatka wilderness hiking, skiing and biking.
As a result, in 1999 I started my guiding career, working as guide for hiking trips and non-technical volcano ascensions. In 2004 I got a first job in ski-guiding industry. Next several years I was working as non-certified guide, simply cause we had no organization in Russia in charge for guiding education. But I was lucky to have a friend and mentor Fedor Farberov, who is a mountain guide since late 80’s, spent a year in Canada studying guiding and avalanche risk management, and I learned a lot from him and mountaineering/avalanche/guiding courses he organized for local guides.
Before 2008 guiding was a part job, seasonal and I was still working on different works, thanks to my university degree in Economics and Law. And from 2008 I turned for guiding as a full-time job.
In 2010 I decided to get an international certification and after few attempts in different countries I went to Canada in 2012, and after 4 years of courses, practicing and exams became a certified guide and member of the Association Canadian Mountain Guides. In parallel with guiding study I took several courses and exams with Canadian Avalanche Association, to become avalanche safety specialist and professional member of the Association.
In last 10 years I was guiding and skiing for myself nearly all over the world. I’ve been skitouring and heliskiing on 6 continents (Australia and New Zealand are still in the list) with some highlights like Canada, Chile, Argentina, Antarctic peninsula, Morocco, Indian Himalayas, Japan, Svaneti, Alps and of course all over the Russia.
I am a founder and Lead Guide of Skiing in Russia company, offering skitouring and heliskiing trips in Siberia and Kamchatka. We were the very first company to offer guided backcountry skiing trips in Siberia and one of the first companies in Kamchatka offering skitouring programs all over peninsula.
I am also an AST avalanche course provider accredited by Avalanche Canada, running several recreational avalanche courses per winter season, both in Russian and English.
Besides guiding and teaching avalanche courses I was involved in some work for Russian Mountain Guide Association, for several years. Main part - I was a member of Technical Committee, working on several different projects.
Now I am involved in work of Russian Avalanche Center, the organization which establishes recreational and professional avalanche education in Russia. I am in charge of different aspects of this project, but mainly of technical side – developing the courses, teaching new instructors.
These days I am based in small mountain village Servoz, in the Chamonix valley, France. Few months per year I spend in the mountains of Russia, time to time visiting Canada and of course guiding all over the world.
Ski guiding experience and highlights:
- 6 years of heliskiing n Kamchatka, including first historical heliskiing on North Kuril Islands
- 10+ years of skitouring and expeditions in Kamchatka, including:
- First guided (and second historical) descent from Ichinskaya Sopka volcano in remote central part of peninsula
- First guided circuit of Ganalskiy Vostryaki massif
- Occasional heliskiing in Caucasus, Chile and India
- Occasional catskiing in Canada and Siberia
- 3 winter seasons guiding in Krasnaya Polyana (Sochi), including work for Freeride World Tour and few local freeride events.
- Guiding in Central High Atlas (Morocco).
- 2 weeks of touring on Antarctic peninsula
- 8 years of skitouring in different regions of Siberia:
- Pioneering skitouring in Kuznetsky Alatau range with many first descents
- First ever regular guiding programs in Siberia
- Pioneering heliskiing in Lake Baikal area
- Several road trips on Hokkaido and Honshu (Japan)
- First ever heli-assisted skitouring program in Svaneti (Georgia republic)